[XeTeX] Re: [OS X TeX] Where is XeTeX README?

Julien Salort lists at juliensalort.org
Sat May 22 11:56:28 CEST 2004

Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org> wrote:

> It's been a long time since I looked at iTeXMac. At the time, I think
> it didn't support Unicode (UTF-8) as the encoding for text files in the
> editor.

It does support UTF-8.
I must admit it is not so simple to have UTF-8 set as the default
encoding.
Some months ago, I failed and that's why I switched to TeXShop.
Now, since I really needed projects, I tried iTeXMac again.

Here is what I've done :
* I have created ~/Library/Application
Support/iTeXMac/General/Encodings.plist with the following content :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<array>
        <string>utf8</string>
        <string>iso latin 1</string>
</array>
</plist>

* I restarted iTeXMac
* In the Format>Encodings>Preferred, I chose UTF-8
* I restarted iTeXMac again

Now, UTF-8 is chosen by default for each newly created file.

Once you've managed to successfully configure iTeXMac (which is not so
easy), it becomes very nice. You can have as many "generic projects" as
you want.
You can then select the desired project automatically with :
%!iTeXMac(project):xelatex

(you need a xelatex.pTeXMac in ~/Library/Application
Support/iTeXMac/Generic Projects)