[XeTeX] ledmac in XeTeX?

Somadevah at aol.com Somadevah at aol.com
Thu Jun 10 11:53:05 CEST 2004

In a message dated 10/6/04 10:45:46 am, bvoisin at mac.com writes:

> I don't use Ledmac (or know what it is), but I have noticed that fonts
> can have an influence on the baselineskip in XeTeX: if you use Hoefler
> Text, for example, in a document originally compiled in LaTeX with CM
> fonts, the baselineskip won't be altered, but if you use Optima, which
> seems to have different metrical parameters, the baselineskip will get
> bigger and not follow that normally specified in size12.clo.

Dear Bruno,

many thanks for this. Did you find a way to set the \baselineskip to whatever
you want? Ledmac is a set of macros that you can use to typeset critical
editions with multiple levels (or registers) of footnotes referenced by line
numbers. Very useful for me. The problem is not just that the baselineskip is
different, but that it is inconsistent, changing at various points (whereever the
footnotes are called?). The notes themselves look even worse. Evidently, it
would be a huge job to rewrite such a set of macros as ledmac.

It would be fantastic to be able to use XeTeX for such critical editing of
texts, using multiple scripts in the notes for testimonia etc.

Somadeva