[XeTeX] New warning in XeTeX?

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jun 9 01:19:00 CEST 2004

On 8 Jun 2004, at 11:21 pm, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> I'm taking advantage of a short document to write, to get my hands at
> XeTeX more seriously. As a warm-up session, when I typeset the
> examples in the distribution, I get for CM the warnings:
>
>> (./transforms.tex [1]
>> *** no 'post' table found, unable to re-encode font cmr10
>> *** no 'post' table found, unable to re-encode font cmsy7
> The output doesn't seem affected, but I don't remember having seen
> these warnings before.
>
> Is this due to the fact that I've the BSR/AMS version of CM/AMS fonts
> in my Classic System Folder? (In case that might matter, these are
> "hidden" versions of the fonts, that I have created myself with
> ResEdit and EdMetrics.)

Yes, it'll be those fonts (the fact that they're "hidden" won't make
any difference, xdv2pdf is still seeing them because they're present in
the Apple Type Services font list). Your psfonts.map file includes
re-encoding entries for those fonts, I presume; but because they're the
old Type 1's rather than the .otf versions, xdv2pdf doesn't know how to
read the glyph names and ensure correct encoding. The fact that the
output happens to be correct anyway is merely a happy coincidence.
(Well, actually it's because it takes a wild guess at the glyph
arrangement based on old fonts I've looked at, and gets away with it.)

Looks like I still need to try harder to ensure that xdv2pdf favors the
.otf fonts that it really knows how to use; I thought I had this pretty
much taken care of, but apparently not. I'll look into this further.

Meanwhile, my apologies if you're getting annoyed by the messages!

Jonathan