[XeTeX] New warning in XeTeX?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jun 10 00:20:42 CEST 2004

Le 9 juin 04, à 01:19, Jonathan Kew a écrit :

> Looks like I still need to try harder to ensure that xdv2pdf favors
> the .otf fonts that it really knows how to use; I thought I had this
> pretty much taken care of, but apparently not. I'll look into this
> further.
>
> Meanwhile, my apologies if you're getting annoyed by the messages!

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your hints. I disactivated the CM/AMS fonts in Font
Book.app, but then the warnings about missing 'post' tables became
messages about fonts not found.

Actually it was all my fault: looking further into this, I noticed I
had two files texmf.cnf:

	Portable-de-Bruno:/usr/local/teTeX brunovoisin$ ls -l
	total 32
	[...]
	-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  3247  8 Jun 01:09 texmf.cnf
	-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin  3361  8 Jun 00:32 texmf.cnf.20040608010928

The first one, which was the one used, had not the XeTeX-specific
lines, while the second one, which wasn't used, had them:

	% Added item for XeTeX (xdv2pdf) to locate OTF versions of Type 1 fonts
	OTFFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/otf/{xetex,}//

Adding these lines to texmf.cnf (the first one) cured the problem.

Here is what I think happened: earlier this week I did an Archive &
Install of my system, reinstalling all the third-party software
afterwards. This included TeX and friends. I installed first TeX and
Ghostscript etc. using i-Installer, then XeTeX using your .pkg file.
Then I put back in place all my personal additions to texmf.local
(Lucida fonts etc.), ran texhash and updmap, *then* ran the
configuration stage of the TeX i-Package to set the ownership for all
my teTeX tree including these additions (I had used drag-n-drop with
authentication to put the files in texmf.local, so the permissions and
possibly ownership were potentially freaked). I also used a one-liner
from Maarten Sneep
<http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/MacOSX-TeX-Digests/2004/MacOSX-
TeX_Digest_03-02-04.html> to set the permissions right, but I don't
think that matters here:

> There is one other point, the Finder (if you used the finder to copy
> your stuff) may set the permissions of folders to read,write,execute
> to all.
>
> # set directory to read only for group and others
> sudo find /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.local/ -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
>
> # set files to read only for group and others
> sudo find /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.local/ -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

I think the configuration stage in i-Installer saved the texmf.cnf
created by XeTeX's install as texmf.cnf.20040608010928, then created a
new one not including the OTF-related addition. Silly me, I hadn't paid
attention to i-Installer's warning about this before!

That said, I noticed another oddity: when I typeset transforms.tex I
get no warning any longer, but when I run a LaTeX file of mine, using a
range of CM fonts, I get a warning about one font only:

	*** font lcircle10 (LCIRCLE10: file 'lcircle1') not found  )

This is probably because, if XeTeX uses the info from psfonts.map, it
expects a .pfb file name truncated to 8 characters (+ extension):

	lcircle10 LCIRCLE10 <lcircle1.pfb
	lcirclew10 LCIRCLEW10 <lcirclew.pfb

whereas the file names for your .otf font files, like those in the
BSR/AMS fonts, aren't truncated. I noticed this by comparing the two
distributions:

- for Unix
<ftp://cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bluesky/cmps-
unix.tar.gz>

- for (Classic) Mac
<ftp://cam.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/cm/ps-type1/bluesky/cmps-
textures.hqx>

Finally, I've got another puzzle for you, due to my Unix incompetence:
at the time I modified texmf.cnf to make it work with XeTeX, I had no
copy of XeTeX.pkg at hand and no internet connection, thus I manually
edited the file with:

	sudo pico /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf

However, not being experienced with pico (I only used pine at intervals
in 1998), I did not notice that, launched with sudo, it places files by
default in /var/root/. Hence, before understanding how to specify where
a file was to be saved, I fear that I may have added by accident a
texmf.cnf somewhere inside /var/root/. This directory cannot be viewed
from the Finder, and trying to cd there in Terminal.app, I get:

	Portable-de-Bruno:/var brunovoisin$ sudo cd root
	Password:
	sudo: cd: command not found

Are you aware of any way to inspect the content of /var/root/, without
having to activate the root account in NetInfo Manager.app (I'd rather
avoid activating it if I may)?

Sorry for the long post,

Bruno