[XeTeX] OS X fonts.

Alain Schremmer Schremmer.Alain at verizon.net
Thu Jul 22 23:57:02 CEST 2004

(1) I downloaded the Sample Files.
When I tried to typeset XeTeX-notes, though, the console told me that
it couldn't find `XeLaTeX.xfmt'!
I remembered seeing something about that in the FAQ and, sure enough,
there it was. So, I used i-Installer to reconfigure with "no critical
error" but `XeLaTeX.xfmt' still missing.
The Subprocess output says in several places
Hyphenation trie of length 8525 has 308 ops out of 35111
   9 for language 3
   30 for language 2
   88 for language 1
   181 for language 0
No pages of output.
Of course it doesn't mean anything to me.

(2) But I did read the source of XeTeX-notes and it confirmed what you
said and what I thought (not the same things):
It is work in progress and, moreover, more oriented towards TeX than
LaTeX (and for non-Roman languages). Therefore emphatically not my
size.

However, to quote:

	When a |\font| command is read, it first attempts to locate an
installed font in Mac OS X with the given name.
	If one is found, then this font will be used in ATSUI mode, making use
of any advanced features that may be included in the AAT font tables,
and without reference to any |.TFM| file.
	If no installed font is found, \XeTeX\ will attempt to load a |.TFM|
file and perform standard |.TFM|-based typesetting with this font.

But this only(?) in TeX.

(3) The reason I wanted to use Futura Condensed was that I needed a
different-looking font to typeset "units" that would also be narrow
enough to fit in tabulars like the following:
	KILOMeter |  HECTOMetyer | DEKAMeter | … | MILLIMeter
(with small caps for ILO, ECTO, EKA, … ILLI.)

While cmss is different-looking enough, a more condensed font would
have made it easier to make the tables.
Still, I am afraid that I raised a tempest in a teapot.

(4) Still, if not too difficult, I wouldn't mind "finding" that missing
`XeLaTeX.xfmt'.

Thanks to all.
Regards.
--schremmer