[XeTeX] OS X fonts.

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Jul 23 00:46:23 CEST 2004

Le 22 juil. 04, à 23:57, Alain Schremmer a écrit :

> (1) I downloaded the Sample Files.
> When I tried to typeset XeTeX-notes, though, the console told me that
> it couldn't find `XeLaTeX.xfmt'!
> I remembered seeing something about that in the FAQ and, sure enough,
> there it was. So, I used i-Installer to reconfigure with "no critical
> error" but `XeLaTeX.xfmt' still missing.

- Do you have a file (notice the all-lowercase name)
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/xelatex.xfmt? If not, the
XeLaTeX format has not been created.

- Do you have a directory /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/xetex/
containing, in particular, xelatex.ini and xplain.tex? These files are
needed during the format creation.

- Does the file /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/fmtutil.cnf (the
configuration file read by the command-line tool fmtutil which does the
actual format creation) contain the three lines:

	# XeTeX formats
	xetex		xetex		-			*xetex.ini
	xelatex		xetex		language.dat	*xelatex.ini

If the answer is "no" to this question, then you probably have a
non-standard TeX setup, or the installation of XeTeX has not proceeded
correctly.

- Did you modify the default language selection of the TeX i-Package
(see next answer below), to include languages for which the hyphenation
pattern files (in /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/generic/hyphen/)
include non-UTF-8 characters? In case you did, did you try to come back
to the default, as explained in the XeTeX FAQ at
<http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?
site_id=nrsi&item_id=xetex_faq>, and did it solve your problem?

- Just to be sure, is XeTeX really installed on your system (did you
install the i-Package using i-Installer, or the .pkg file using Apple's
Installer), and TeXShop configured to use it (in the Composer menu,
Personal Script and LaTeX both checked)? In case it is, the first line
of your TeXShop run in the console window should be:

	This is XeTeXk, Version 3.14159-2.1-0.84 (Web2C 7.5.2)

> The Subprocess output says in several places
> Hyphenation trie of length 8525 has 308 ops out of 35111
>   9 for language 3
>   30 for language 2
>   88 for language 1
>   181 for language 0
> No pages of output.
> Of course it doesn't mean anything to me.

AFAIK, this is normal output during creation of a format. The different
languages means the different hyphenation patterns that are preloaded
in the format, as defined in
/Library/teTeX/share/texmf.local/tex/generic/config/language.dat:
language 0, the default hyphenation pattern, is always US English; the
other patterns loaded by default when installing teTeX are, I think,
French, German (old spelling), New German (new spelling), and possibly
also No Hyphenation.

The list is preloaded hyphenation patterns is better modified during
the configuration stage of the TeX i-package (in Expert, not Basic,
mode), by adding or removing checkmarks in a list of available
patterns, then re-creating all the formats preloading them.

> (2) But I did read the source of XeTeX-notes and it confirmed what you
> said and what I thought (not the same things):
> It is work in progress and, moreover, more oriented towards TeX than
> LaTeX (and for non-Roman languages). Therefore emphatically not my
> size.
>
> However, to quote:
>
> 	[...]
>
> But this only(?) in TeX.