[XeTeX] Work around for Italic correction; +kern doesn't work(?)

Robert Voogdgeert rvoogdgeert at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Dec 28 23:26:39 CET 2004

Dear XeTeX users,

I recall there being no italic-correction proper in XeTeX. As I'm facing
a problem now that preferably needs some kerning, I wondered whether any
of you has come up with some work-around yet.
My problem is the italicized German 'Begriff' set with Minion Pro
Regular, but and this is problematic, within parentheses: (Begriff). The
last `f' running into the left top of ) quite a lot.

Even in absence of Italic correction, the Minion Pro (and other otf
fonts) have good kerning. In InDesign for example the use of Minion Pro
Italic with the kerning option set to metric, gives nice results,
slightly better than with optical kerning.

I tried +kern in Jon's minion fd for Italic, but this didn't seem to
alter anything. Is this tag not supported by XeTeX, or is the problem
more complex?

Any suggestion is welcome!

Regards,
Robert.