[XeTeX] math in XeLaTeX at 11pt or 12pt

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Fri Apr 30 10:52:58 CEST 2004

On 30 Apr 2004, at 9:28 am, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> Possible ways forward (besides requiring you to remove the Textures
> fonts, which isn't really a solution as you may want them there!):
>
> 1) reverse the priority of font loading in xetex, so that it looks
> first for a .tfm file, and only for an installed font if no .tfm is
> found
>
> 2) provide a separate \XeTeXfont command for using AAT fonts,
> restricting \font to TFM mode only
>
> 3) ensure that we build format files with all the sizes of math symbol
> and extension fonts \preloaded from .tfms, so that they'll always be
> used in .tfm mode

Another option has occurred to me, remembering that XeTeX allows quote
marks to be used around \font (and \input) names, as they may need to
include spaces:

4) make \font sensitive to whether the font name is quoted (with "..."
or '...'), looking first for a .tfm file if no quote marks were used,
and an ATSUI font if they were.

This is almost like (2), in that it makes it possible to control the
behavior from the source document; it's conceivable that you might want
to experiment with using cmr10 in AAT mode as well as TFM mode, for
example, or you might have tfm files with names like "Helvetica.tfm".
It's a little different in that
	\font\myfont=Helvetica at 10pt
will not ONLY try for Helvetica.tfm, but ALSO look for an installed
Helvetica if no tfm is found.

I think I'm going to experiment with implementing this; it should make
standard documents (plain TeX, LaTeX, whatever) all work as expected,
as they won't have quote marks on the font names, while also offering
the virtually-transparent use of ATSUI fonts that has been a goal all
along.

Comments still welcome!

Jonathan