[XeTeX] XeTeX error message

Bruce D'Arcus bdarcus at fastmail.fm
Sat Apr 24 18:57:06 CEST 2004

On Apr 21, 2004, at 5:43 AM, Stephen Moye wrote:

> And a question about fonts: Will OTF fonts become useable in XeTeX --
> I'm
> thinking about gems like Adobe Jenson and Slimbach's Brioso.

As recently as Jaguar, support for OpenType fonts on OS X had the
following characteristics:

	-	no kerning support
	-	a bug that would not allow you to select the default text font in an
optical set (!)

When you consider how long it took them to get (almost) full support
for the AAT fonts (in Panther), I'm not very optimistic about when
we'll see full support for the feature set available in fonts like
Jenson or Minion Pro.

But, as Jonathan says, it couldn't hurt to harass Apple about this a
bit.  Such support would be a big step forward for typography on OS X,
and also now by extension for TeX on OS X.

Bruce