[UK-TUG] UK TeX User Forum is available to former members

Jay Hammond jay at jjnr.uk
Tue Jan 18 19:25:58 CET 2022

On 18/01/2022 18:03, Kris [snip] wrote:
> As someone who has used LaTeX since 1988 but doesn't use Facebook...
> isn't there some other forum we could use?
>
> Thanks. Kris.

JH answer follows

at https://www.facebook.com/groups/665112611139250/
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/665112611139250/>

Hi Kris,

I hope you don't mind, I'll put your question on UKTUG announce.

the answer to your question is almost certainly yes. But enough members
have to agree on the same one for it to be useful.

But lots of people don't like Meta or Facebook.  There are obscure open
source platforms with sensible T&C, and widespread commercial platforms
with rapacious/exploitative t&C.  and some less invasive commercial
platforms.  Somehow, enough ex-members have to agree where in that
spectrum they feel happy.  Let's discuss.

Can you suggest an obscure open source platform with sensible T&C? I'm
signed up to one but it'd take some research to locate it. I have never
used it.

Yahoo groups would welcome us. They are of course commercial.

The nicer groups may need an annual subscription as they are not
advertising funded. But someone might donate the first year's fees.

Could I have suggestions for other fora please  ?  I believe there are a
number of fora already in existence with TeX in the title. Fewer that
also have UK.  Your search engine may find them.  Has anyone listening
already curated such a list?

best wishes, Jay

Email usejay at jjnr.uk