[UK-TUG] How to Vote

Jay Hammond jay at jjnr.uk
Wed Nov 3 22:50:13 CET 2021

On 03/11/2021 21:05, tonyharkeroxford at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm losing track of what we are supposed to be voting on and to whom we are supposed to be responding.

Hi Tony and other members:

I'm sorry one member is not cooperating . I've done my best to manage
the meeting. I've amended the subject.

VOTING on MOTIONS is  a few paragraphs down.

You may of course just ignore 'procedural matters'. I gave it that
subject because I knew it was going to be arcane. It was my hint to you
to not read it.  I think I can safely interpret Tony's  message 'I just
want all this to stop' to include a procedural motion.

Everybody else, if you wish, Say YES or NO to  discussing procedures in
a procedural motion offered by Jonathan Fine. send Y/N to uktug-announce
with the Subject "Procedural Matters". Before midnight please. You may
also tell me  on jay at jjnr.uk if you don't want anyone else to know what
you said.

VOTING ON MOTIONS

I sent the following to Joseph Wright: joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
as my vote(s)

except that here, you see 'Mu' as the placeholder for my actual vote. I
replaced "FOR" by "Mu" and I also replaced AGAINST by Mu. I did not abstain.

There are more notes on voting below the sample ballot.

What I sent:

MU    HV1. That UK-TUG continue to function, with the proviso that
       (a) the Committee draft an updated Constitution to better reflect
       outcomes achievable by the group, and arranges for the members to
       consider this update as required by the current Constitution;
       (b) the Committee reduce asset holdings in line with part (a),
       donating dormant resources to TUG and DANTE

MU    DS1. That UK-TUG be dissolved, and that its remaining assets be
       transferred in accordance with Clause 5(3)(b) of the Constitution
       in two equal parts to:
       (i) TeX Users Group (TUG), and
       (ii) Deutschsprachige Anwendervereinigung TeX e.V. (DANTE).

MU    JF1. If UK-TUG is dissolved then its surplus assets will be
distributed
       in proportion to the individually expressed wishes of members,
       taking into account only those wishes that are consistent with the
       constitution.

MU    JF2. That there be an SGM on the continuation and dissolution of
UK TUG
       in the first quarter of 2022.

MU JF3. That UK-TUG be dissolved.

I expect you'll find it easy to cut and paste into an email. After a
short edit, done! You can replace Mu by FOR, AGAINST or ABSTAIN.

In practice you can be AGAINST as much as you like. You can ABSTAIN as
much as you like. Care is advised with voting FOR.  I hope you do vote
FOR, but not overenthusiastically. Please make sure that each motion you
vote FOR is compatible with the other motion(s) you vote FOR.

Jay Hammond

Email use jay at jjnr.uk