[UK-TUG] On TUG and DANTE acceptance of funds from UK TUG

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 11:42:43 CEST 2021

Hi

Some good news. On Sunday I offered TUG an on-line donation of $25 for
"supporting TeX in the United Kingdom". Yesterday this donation was
accepted.

This creates a precedent for TUG accepting a donation from UK-TUG "with
strings attached", such as the development and support of TeX in the UK, in
the sad event that UK-TUG be dissolved.

As TUG is not obliged to follow this precedent, more work is required. I'd
very much appreciate the committee sharing with us what they know.

Happy UK TeXing

Jonathan

APPENDIX: OFFER, RESPONSE and LEGAL NOTE

MY DONATION COMMENTS (copied to TUG Board):
This donation is for supporting TeX in the United Kingdom. If not fully
used for that purpose by the end of 2022 then the remainder is to go to the
General TeX Development Fund.

I'd be pleased if this donation was applied to the purchase of next year's
TeXLive DVDs for distribution to TeX users in the UK, if at that time UK
TUG no longer existed to make that purchase.

TUG OFFICE RESPONSE
Thank you for your cash contribution of $25.00 USD to the
TeX Users Group, received on 19 Oct 2021, designated as a
TeX Collection DVDs to UK addresses donation. Your receipt is attached.

LEGAL NOTE
My understanding of English law is that TUG by making the deduction from my
debit card accepted my offer, and thus the purpose is as I stated it,
rather than as in TUG's response. I am not a lawyer.