[UK-TUG] A true story

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 09:52:14 CEST 2021

Dear fellow TeX user

I'll start with a true story. We're in a rural park. It's autumn, late
afternoon. One person is standing on a raised wooden bridge over a small
slow river. Another person is walking on the path, carrying shopping and
approaching the bridge. The stander watches the yellow and black speckled
willow leaves gently spiral down into the river below. The walker and the
stander see each other.

The stander encourages the walker to stop and look at the scene, because it
is so amazing. The walker replies that they had already seen and
appreciated the falling leaves. The walker stops to share the view with the
stander. They two share a few words about the calm and the beauty of the
scene, and then the walker continues their journey, taking the groceries
home.

As they separate, the stander says "Thank you for sharing your experience
with me. It has increased my happiness". The walker replies "That was a
lovely thing to say".

I think TeX in the UK would benefit if we spent more time sharing our
experience in a way that increases our happiness. I know that it can be
difficult because of covid, deadlines and many other things.

I will try to bear this story in mind when I am dealing with difficult
things.

with best wishes

Jonathan