[UK-TUG] UK TUG: supporting and promoting the use of TeX in the UK

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 18:05:05 CET 2020

Hi

Then I ask you to help out in creating, as Nicola Talbot rightly calls it,
a continuation of the UK-TUG community.

ME
==
I'm Jonathan Fine. I've used TeX since 1989, mainly for math. I was Chair
of UK TUG 2006 to 2010, and a TUG Board member 2009 to 2013. I've written
about 15 articles for TUGboat.
http://uk.tug.org/2010/10/17/chairmans-report/
http://tug.org/TUGboat/Contents/listauthor.html#Fine,Jonathan

US
==
But this post is about you and the TeX community in the UK. Supporting and
promoting the use of TeX in the UK is the prime purpose of our society, UK
TUG. In this our greatest asset is the varied interest, experience and
enthusiasm of our members. And the connections we have with other TeX users
in the UK.

TEX in the UK
===========
So who uses TeX in the UK. How do we find other TeX users, in this
digitally connected and socially distanced world? One way to find out is to
search the internet.

Here's one such search (site:ac.uk latex)
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aac.uk+latex

Some of the results belong to personal websites.
http://web.mat.bham.ac.uk/R.W.Kaye/
https://www-users.york.ac.uk/~pjh503/
https://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/ctdodson/
http://web.mat.bham.ac.uk/T.Naia/

Others to departments.
http://www.docs.is.ed.ac.uk/skills/documents/3722/3722-2014.pdf
http://computing.help.inf.ed.ac.uk/latex
http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/LaTeX_intro.html
https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/it-services/categories/latex
https://www1.essex.ac.uk/linguistics/external/clmt/latex4ling/journals/

Some of these pages are old, some are new.

Here's a search as before (site:ac.uk latex), but for the past month
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:ac.uk+latex&tbs=qdr:m

Here are some of the pages that come up.

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/members/it/faqs/latex/letters
https://library.soton.ac.uk/overleaf
http://mas115.group.shef.ac.uk/
https://library.cranfield.ac.uk/knl/referencing/mendeley
https://libguides.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/c.php?g=422799&p=2886949
https://git.soton.ac.uk/el7g15/uos-latex-template/-/issues
https://libguides.bham.ac.uk/c.php?g=574715&p=4663475
https://www.cst.cam.ac.uk/teaching/masters/projects

Nicola Talbot wrote:  Regardless of whether or not UK-TUG folds, I'd like
to see a continuation of the UK-TUG community

I completely agree with this. The above links give us some idea as to who
might join such a community, and the benefits it might provide.

HELP
====
Do you want to help? I hope some of you do. If so please email me, or this
list.

THIS LIST
========
Aside: messages to uktug-announce at tug.org are first moderated by Joseph W,
and then sent to all members. (You might want to ping Joseph after posting,
so he knows there's a message to moderate.)

THANKS
=======
Finally, I'd like to thank Jay and the committee for making uktug-announce
available for us to message each other. When I submitted my motion last
week, I had no idea that this would happen.

with best wishes

Jonathan