[UK-TUG] Formal notice of AGM

Jay Hammond jay at jjnr.uk
Sun Nov 29 20:24:04 CET 2020

@NicolaTalbot

thank you for the constructive suggestions about how to meet.  I think
the medium is the message; speaker-talks on zoom are not the same as
chit-chat. Both are desirable, but need different platforms and support
different numbers of participants. For the former, all 80(ish)  UKTUG
members could productively meet to hear a talk, and ask a limited number
of questions. . I'm not clear which software supports chit-chat, where
the topic moves over time, as do the participants. Could moodle be
co-opted or is it too heavy a tool/inappropriate?

I certainly think that the social aspect of UKTUG should be maintained,
but outside UKTUG.  I also think that those UKTUG members who value the
TeXlive DVD should access it  via Joseph, as he has offered. rather than
via UKTUG.  I envisage a lightweight "friends of TeX" structure will be
created independently of the onerous and now inappropriate constitution
of UKTUG.  Those two behaviours  would maintain the key benefits of
membership for UKTUG members after UKTUG's dissolution.  It's not clear
whether the lightweight social structure should be funded by UKTUG.
Funding transfer  could only happen  pre-dissolution. Discuss please.

These discussions were in committee earlier in the year, and I no longer
recall if the members were told. If not, it should have been in my report.

jay

On 29/11/2020 14:20, Dr Nicola L C Talbot wrote:
> As mentioned in the minutes, at last year's AGM I raised the question:
> are we *UK*-TUG (emphasis on UK) or are we UK-*TUG* (emphasis on TeX)?
> I'd like to re-visit this point, and I think it's helpful to look back
> at the history of TeX and the digital evolution to evaluate this.

In summary:

Email use jay at jjnr.uk