[UK-TUG] UK-TUG Chair Election

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Sun Nov 16 11:32:13 CET 2014

Dear Member,

Following the earlier notice concerning the position Chair of UK-TUG, I
have received one nomination: Kaveh Bazargan. As there is a single name,
an election is not required and Kaveh will become Chair of UK-TUG at the
end of our 2014 AGM for a period of two years.

In support of his nomination, Kaveh provided an 'election address' text.
While we will not require an election, I am sure members will be
interested in what our Chair-elect says.  I have therefore included his
address below.

Regards,

Joseph Wright
UK-TUG Secretary

=======================================

I have been a TeX user since 1983, and I believe the very first
user of TeX at Imperial College, London. For the last 25 years I
have made a living out of TeX, by providing services to academic
publishers. Perhaps now is the time for me to "give back" to the
TeX community, and to do what I can to increase the usage of
TeX.

There is one particular gap I see that TeXies might be able to
help with, and that is training the staff at publishing houses
who have to deal with TeX files, but who have next to no
knowledge about it. I hope that we can organize regular training
courses through UKTuG and I would like to do what I can in that
regard. these might be courses attended in person, or live
online "webinars".

A second area in which I believe we should educate people is in
non-math uses of TeX, particularly for typesetting high quality
academic material. Again this is an area not familiar to
publishers.

Finally I think that we can organize more UKTuG meetings. I am
happy to organize the video recording or livestreaming of these
events in order to spread the word further.

Kaveh Bazargan