TDS locations for graphics.sty, autopict.sty and friends.

Thomas Esser TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 18:44:56 +0100

> >compliant' distributions, but I just tried it on tetex and I notice
> >that
>
> >TEXINPUTS	= $KPSE_DOT:!!$TEXMF/tex//:!!$FONTDIR/afm//
> I thought the `canonical' setting for a format-specific TEXINPUTS was:
>    .:$TEXMF/tex/$FORMAT//:$TEXMF/tex//

Yes, indeed. And this is how TEXINPUTS.latex ist set up. But the
TEXINPUTS line in texmf.cnf is not format-specific. It is the fallback
path if none of the format-specific paths applies.

> It's entertaining to see that fontinst has caused the afm directory to
> get into the default TEXINPUTS path!  Personally I think I'd leave it

The reason for the afm in TEXINPUTS is that teTeX includes a ps2pk version
that searches for .afm files along the kpse_tex_format path.
There still is no kpse_afm_format, even in the latest tex-pretest.

Thomas