Texinfo/Info/HTML version of 0.999

Ulrik Vieth TWG-TDS@SHSU.edu
Tue, 23 Jan 1996 10:55:20 +0100

Karl wrote:
>    at hand-converting the 0.999 LaTeX file to Texinfo, which basically

> How about a sed/awk script to replace the query-replace-regexp's? Then
> maybe we could do it automatically.

Well, I thought of that too, but there were some complications which I
tackled in the hand-conversion.  For instance, there was one case where
\path|...| was abused for something that was not really a file argument
(\path|\dump|-able), so I converted it to @code rather than @file.
Then there were some inconsistencies in the use of \literal and \path.
My first idea was to translate \literal to @samp and \path to @file,
but I later found it preferable to translate both to @file in the first
path and later translate @file to @samp in some contexts like @item.
However, this was probably influenced by my personal HTML style sheet
that turns @samp into to bold typewriter, which of course works best
for description items.  Still another complication was that I often had
to translate \replaceable into @file{@var{...}} rather than just @var
to get the quotes around the file names consistent.

Taking all this into account, it would of course be nicer to have some
automatic conversion script, but getting it to produce good quality
would probably have been more work than doing a hand-conversion once.

Cheers, Ulrik.

P.S. Karl:  I believe it's deliberate that the /incoming directory on
ftp.dante.de is not readable for anybody, but I don't know the reasons
for this policy.  I hope Joachim will install it now in the /tds tree
to make it generally available.