[Tugindia] Cdac-ildc malayalam font installation error.

P. P. Narayanaswami swami at mun.ca
Mon Sep 28 21:18:40 CEST 2015

Two years back, when I upgraded my Ubuntu, and tried to install
Malayalam/Tamil Omega, I had the same problem, and I posted it in this
newsgroup.  Even though the installation script placed all files in correct
locations, there was problem with the placement of the Map file (since TeX
Directory structure TDS has slightly altered in the mean time).
After exchanging emails with people who maintain TeX Live in Ubuntu, I found out
the following.

Put all files (fonts, .pfb, .tfm, ocp, otp etc etc) in
in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local) but into the correct subdirectories!
Place the Malayalam.map file (and other Map files) in
texmf-local/fonts/map/dvips,  or a sub-directory of that directory.
Definitely use the texmf-local tree.
Make sure you run
mktexlsr
after putting the files in place or the files won't be found by the
distribution.  (The shell script takes care of all these).
Then,
Just add *one* line
	Map Malayalam.map  (similar entrioes for other Map files)
	TEXMFLOCAL/web2c/updmap.cfg
(creating it if necessary).
texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg only needs the line
Map malayalam.map
(appended) and make sure you end with a blank line.
Then run updmap-sys.
updmap.cfg collects *references* to .map files, but *not* the content
of these .map files.

The same process is valid for the Map files of ISM, CDAC fonts and Tamil omega.
It would be really useful, if A J Alex or someone can post (or make available) a
new installation script reflecting these changes with regard to the Map files,
so that one can install Malayalam/Tamil Omega,and the CDAC, ISM, fonts,  on the
fly by just running the shell script.