[Tugindia] Tamil/Malayalam Omega/TeX instalation problem in TeXLive from TUG DVD

P. P. Narayanaswami swami at mun.ca
Wed Nov 21 13:26:58 CET 2012

I am using TexLive 2012 from TUG DVD installed in Ubuntu 12.10.
I downloaded Malayalam/Tamil Omega, amd Malayalam tex
packages from sarovar.org, unpacked and ran the install shell script,
and the installation was reported to be successful in each case.
When the inslallation shell script prompted me to okay the location of the texmf
tree, I typed the texmf tree as
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf  (instead of the default /usr/share/texmf
found in most Linux distributions, Ubuntu, in particuar).
But. when I run "lamed" on any file, the system is
not finding omal.sty, otamil.sty, the ocp files, etc etc, and not compiling.
The .sty and .fd files are certainly residing in
/usr/local/texlive2012/tex/lambda, and the other files are also in the correct
places in tghe texmf tree. What is going wrong? Why are these files not found?
Do I need to set up a new path for these files?
Things used to work without any problem in the TexLive set-up
that comes with  Ubuntu 12.04 (in the default location /usr/share/texmf) .

I am in the midst of some serious work, so any help to get
Tamil/Malayalam Omega/Tex working in TeXLive (from TUG DVD) will be greatly
appreciated. Perhaps, the people who maintain these packages in sarovar.org
can kindly oblige us by providing us with new installation shell scripts that
will work without any problem in the TeXLive from TUG DVD.
Thanks for any help in advance

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2012.php