[Tugindia] [texhax] TeX/LaTeX/Aleph in Ubuntuy 12.10

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Fri Nov 2 09:41:15 CET 2012

El oct 20, 2012, a las 1:55 p.m., P. P. Narayanaswami <swami at mun.ca> escribió:

> CVR's help command does not work, and still gives the same error message.
> sudo fmtutil0sys --all
> also does not help.  I was upgrading from Ubuntu 1210 to 1210 and
> at some point of the upgrade, it complained that it cannot install tex-common
> and thaitex, which I ignored. In the previous version, I was only using the
> Texlive that I available from Ubuntu (and not the TUG one).
> Will it help if I un-install the TeX Live Debian 21102 completely
> and install TeXlive from TUG? If som, what is the simplest procedure?

Yes, I would do that.  It is rather painful to rely on the TeX packages doled out by a distro's package manager -- they are frequently out of date and cause problems.  If you have a high speed connection it is quite a simple matter to install the full TeX Live over the Net.  Literally a couple of minutes of work, and does not even require admin access (though of course you need write access to the directories used).  The only thing to be done is download a small file (see http://tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html), unpack and execute it, and choose a few settings (defaults should be okay) at the start.  If your connection is fast, the rest of the install should take maybe an hour or so with on further work needed.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao