[Tugindia] Rupee symbol for LaTeX on Mac OS X

S. venkataraman svenkat at ignou.ac.in
Tue Jan 4 06:03:54 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Shrisha Rao <shrao at nyx.net> wrote:

> El ene 4, 2011, a las 8:15 a.m., Kannan Moudgalya escribió:
>
> > Shrisha Rao wrote:
> >> I am using the symbol on Mac OS X with XeLaTeX (not plain LaTeX), using
> fontspec and the following lines in the preamble (with the font itself
> placed in /Library/Fonts):
> >>
> >> \newfontface\Rupee{Indian Rupee} % Raju Das's Indian Rupee font
> >> \newcommand{\Rs}{{\Rupee \symbol{"20A8}}}
> >>
> >> Then in the main body (after \begin{document}), one can simply write
> ``This contract is worth \Rs 20,000,'' etc.
> >>
> > Unfortunately, it does not work on LaTeX.
>
> Of course; it requires XeLaTeX as I said; fontspec itself does not work
> with LaTeX.
>
> Regards,
>
> Shrisha Rao
>
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Kannan

I am using ubuntu 10.04 and texlive 2009.
Here is what I did to use the rupee font in pdflatex.
It should work with texlive on other platforms too.

   1. Download the archive and unzipped it.
   2. Copied the entire contents of the directory tfrupee to my
   local directory under /opt/local/texlive.
   sudo cp -r * /opt/texlive/texmf-local/.
   3. Ran texhash as super user.
   sudo texhash
   4. Enabled the map file for all users.
   sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=tfrupee.map
   5. Created a small test file:
   \documentclass[12pt]{article}
   \usepackage{tfrupee}
   \begin{document}