[Tugindia] alt text for figures

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Wed May 5 09:33:17 CEST 2010

On 29-Apr-2010, at 2:12 PM, Radhakrishnan CV wrote:

> On 28-Apr-2010, at 6:11 PM, Ambika Vanchinathan wrote:
>
>> I inserted the macro in the TeX file, inserted alttext command with a text
>> for figure and compiled using pdflatex.  When I checked the pdf in Acrobat
>> Pro--Advanced--Accessibility--Touch up reading order--figure, I get "no
>> alternate text exists" on selecting a figure. Am I missing something? Is there any
>> other way to check the alternative text given in the file? Kindly suggest.
>

> I know no other way, Ambika. Acrobat Pro is the best parser for PDF's to check compliance.  By the way, can you please send me privately a small PDF created by some other means, but passed by Acrobat?  If you can keep the compression level to 0 (the default compression is 9, highest), I can check the literals and adjust our TeX macros accordingly. It shouldn't be a big problem.

On further research, I was told that the pdf created using \alttext macro works fine with Acrobat Pro version 9.3.2. BTW, what is the version number of Acrobat Pro you had tried?

Whatever the case, AR does not read aloud the alternate text unless the PDF is tagged. I have created a specimen tagged PDF document and copied to:

  http://download.river-valley.com/cvr/altext.pdf

which you may open in AR and check for read aloud. Needless to say, it works fine with Acrobat Pro as well.
But this pdf is created with a special version of pdfTeX which is not yet ready for public release. Han The Thanh is still working on it and might take a while before he makes a public release.

Best regards

A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single
man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.
		-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery