[Tugindia] TeX live CDROM/DVD

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jan 21 15:11:57 CET 2010

S. venkataraman said on Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 03:59:28PM +0530,:

 > Even the Ubuntu(debian) package ttf-indic-fonts doesn't seem to
 > have truetype fonts with all the three families. Of course they are
 > not opentype fonts and may not be unicode compliant.

I am not sure whether the Devanagari fonts in Debian are OpenType
compliant or not, but Debian does NOT support non UTF-8 fonts by
default.

Ubuntu is not exactly Debian, but I can, with some degree of
certainity, say that what holds fo Debian, is true for Ubuntu too, at
least in this case.

But yes, Oblique, bold etc ... on normal operating sytstem, AFAIK, the
rendering engine does the job of generating bold and italicised fonts.

 > http://www.ildc.in/htm/otfonts.htm there are are lot of fonts
 > available, but they come with a windows installer and doen't seem
 > useable on linux.

If you can extract the .ttf / .otf file, create a ".fonts" directory
in the user's home directory, put the file there, log out and log in
again. This is the sure fire way in most GNU/Linux distros which use
xorg.

There are other ways, which vary on whether on use KDE or GNOME.

 > So, it will be nice if opentype fonts for indian languages are made
 >  available with the customised versions of texlive2009

It should not be too difficult to modify the OT fonts in the
ttf-indic-fonts meta package.

 > Also, if possible, we can remove support for all the languages
 > except english-uk, english-us and indic languages.  This will make
 > installation a little bit easier.

That will make it TeXLive-Indic-2009. Not TexLive!  ;-D

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||  http://paivakil.blogspot.com
TRUTH,  n.   An   ingenious  compound  of  desirability  and