[Tugindia] Malayalam Latex

V. Sasi Kumar sasi.keraladevelopment at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 05:42:08 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 05:35 +0530, Shrisha Rao wrote:

> I don't know Malayalam, but in general for Indian language texts,
> particularly so multi-lingual documents (e.g., a Malayalam text with
> an interleaved Hindi translation), the best solution in my opinion is
> to use XeTeX or XeLaTeX.  These are rapidly becoming the worldwide
> standard for even scholarly work involving non-Roman fonts, and their
> use is much more convenient than putting up with the lots of
> backslashing required with plain LaTeX.  XeTeX and XeLaTeX are
> included in TeX Live 2008 and major distributions like the latest
> flavor of MiKTeX.

Yes, of course, XeTeX is the latest, and probably the best option. I did
not mention it because I have not been able to use it. I have not been
able to find a good tutorial on XeTeX or able to understand how to go
about using it. Any guidance would be highly appreciated, especially
since I often have to prepare documents containing Malayalam and
English.

Best
--
Dr. V. Sasi Kumar