[Tugindia] Font problem

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Tue Dec 15 07:47:27 CET 2009

El dic 13, 2009, a las 11:46 p.m., dr.anoopsinha at gmail.com escribió:

> Hello
> Sorry for the partial mail... my 2 year old daughter got loose on the keyboard :)
>
> So, this is was I've done so far. Managed to locate the relevant fonts on my computer. Installed these in the computer running Corel Draw. Corel doesn't complain about missing fonts anymore. Malayalam is perfect. Hindi doesn't show up at all. English text seem to run into each other, especially where there are ligatures.
>
> Tried ps2pdf14 -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -dEmbedAllFonts=true $1.ps. Did not work.

Just to be clear, that is what I would use in a Unix shell-script; from the Unix/Linux/Cygwin shell prompt, I would type

% ps2pdf14 -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -dEmbedAllFonts=true <filename>.ps

instead, where % is the shell prompt and <filename>.ps is the PostScript file.  That should work fine provided you have ps2pdf14 installed (this is aliased as just ps2pdf on many systems).

If you are using pdflatex, I'm not sure what the situation is, but I do know there are some problems associated with it (e.g., there seems to be no clean way to get *.eps graphics into the document).

> As to setting 8 pages on a page, I am not sure in what order to put it. In any case, the printing press guys insist on importing everything into Corel. Which would mean I'd be back to square one.

I don't think there is a need to have eight pages on one sheet, etc.; your press people must be doing something else besides that, because a standard US-Letter/A4 sheet holding eight standard pages of text would be difficult to read, and no one would publish material in that way.  I have in the past used psnup to place four pages on a sheet (to save on printing while going through thesis drafts), but I am not aware that there is any serious publication value in doing this.  By the way, to create four pages to a sheet using psnup, the following lines should work; rename thesis.dvi, etc., to whatever file names are used.

dvips -t letter thesis.dvi -o
psnup -pletter -m0.25 -d -4 thesis.ps thesis_4up.ps
ps2pdf14 -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress -dEmbedAllFonts=true thesis_4up.ps

Regards,

Shrisha Rao