[Tugindia] Font problem

S. venkataraman svenkat at ignou.ac.in
Sat Dec 12 10:24:54 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Anoop Sinha <dr.anoopsinha at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Shrisha Rao <shrao at nyx.net> wrote:
> > is there a reason that you cannot just embed
> > all fonts in the document itself?
>
> I think the fonts are already embedded in the document. I opened it in
> acrobat reader, and File > Properties > Fonts show that all the
> necessary (subset of) fonts are already embedded in the document.
>
> > -- after doing the standard rounds of latex, bibtex, latex, latex, dvips
> on
> > the file.
>
> Been using pdflatex. Is that causing the problem?
>
> > It is worth wondering why the press cannot just
> > take a camera-ready text from you.  If they are only using Corel Draw to
> > insert the title pages, logo, etc., this may not be such a big issue,
> > however.
>
> This press uses Corel Draw to place pages in sets of eight. I'm not
> entirely certain, but I think it makes it easy fold these sheets into
> the final arrangement and crop off the edges.
>
> And, finally, thank you for your prompt reply.
>
> Regards,
> Dr. Anoop Sinha

Regarding the location of fonts, if you have installed windows version of
ghostscript(alladin
ghostscript), the fonts come with it.
In texmf tree, it is under the directory fonts/type1/urw.  In my texlive2009

installation it is in the directories under
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/urw
It must be in similar directory in other distributions.
The file names of the fonts in these directories are different.
For example, the font viewer program in linux gives the name of the
font in the subdirectory times  with file name utmb8a.pfb as Nimbus Roman
No9 L.  If you search for a font
with file name Nimbus Roman, you will never find it!

If you want put 8 pages in one page, the pdfpages
may do the job for you.  You may have to define a custom page
size using geometry package.
Another option is looking at memoir class documentation of memoir.
It talks of stock sizes, etc, but I haven't gone through it carefully.
Best of luck
S. Venkataraman