[Tugindia] Hyperref and url

Dr C. K. Raju dr_c_k_raju at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:45:10 CEST 2008

I want to use both packages hyperref and url (together with memoir, endnotes, and a special font).

1. If I use url alone, as follows, everything works fine.

\usepackage[obeyspaces,spaces]{url}
\urlstyle{same}
\urldef{\tikdum}\url{http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=381990&messageID=1175734%\#1175734}

%This url is used as an argument to \footnote, and is fragile since it contains the % sign. In contrast, the defined \url like command \tikdum is robust.

(But of course I don't get bookmarks to the chapters and contents in the pdf document, which have to be created manually. This is fine if I only want to print.)

2. If I use hyperref alone,

\usepackage[pdftex, bookmarksnumbered=true, breaklinks=true]{hyperref}

it does not correctly understand a url of the following sort and flags this as an error (in the .ent file)

\textit{Augustan History,}\url{http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Historia_Augusta/Firmus_et_al*.html\#8}

Also, links are _not_ automatically wrapped in the pdfviewer (Acrobat 6). (Have I overlooked some option other than breaklinks?) The package breakurl says that this feature is already included in pdflatex. [Also there are no links to endnotes, as one would want.]

3. If I use package hyperref _before_ package url that leads to an error (conflicting options for package url) and no pages of output.

4. If I use package hyperref _after_ package url I still get the error, but I also get an output. However, the urls in the endnotes remain all mucked up as if the package url had not been loaded at all.

5. As far as I can see, hyperref has no command analogous to \urldef of package url. If I use \href to try to define \url like commands as in

\href{\tikdum}\url{http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=381990&messageID=1175734%\#1175734}

that is flagged as an error. Also,  \href seems to change the font.

Any suggestions?

All best,

C. K. Raju