[Tugindia] MikTeX/graphics

Nina Mazumdar nina.mazumdar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 09:19:31 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 6:27 AM, Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil at imsc.res.in> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 04 Jun 2008, Nina Mazumdar wrote:
>> Hitherto, I believed that TeX compiler in dvi output mode can accept
>> graphics in *.eps format and in pdf output mode can accept graphics
>> files in *.jpg, *.png, *.pdf or metapost formats.
>
> I think someone mentioned "epstopdf.sty" on this list about a month
> ago. Using that package will allow the use of eps files with
> pdflatex. You need to enable shell-escapes.

True.  That is not off-the-shelf usage of *.eps graphics with
pdfLaTeX. epstopdf package converts the *.eps graphics into *.pdf
dynamically and places into the document.  But, my friend claimed that
in dvi output mode (ie, with LaTeX), she can use *.eps and *.jpg
graphics in the same document without the help of any external
packages other than usual graphicx.sty in MikTeX and that the
resulting *.dvi will have both the graphics correctly placed.  I would
be delighted to get user confirmation of this claim which would help
me greatly to correct myself.

Happy TeXing and best regards

--
Nina