[Tugindia] Drawing editor

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Fri Jan 12 19:20:14 CET 2007

Hello,

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007, c puram wrote:
> I am interested in knowing about and downloading a drawing editor for Latex
> with the following ideal specifications in order of importance.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by drawing editor but "xfig"
should do if you want vector graphics.

>    2. Using that I should be able to write text in Devanagari, Malayalam
>    etc.

You can use TeX to render these fonts. Just remember to use "Combined
PDF and TeX" or "Combined PS and TeX" mode of exporting the figure
so that the fonts come out right. You also need to write the text
with the "special" flag set in "xfig".

I usually just create tagged boxes for the text. I then edit the
"fig" file in a text editor and then replace the tags with the actual
text. The latter can be typed in exactly like in TeX.

>    3. It should work on Suse Linux 10.1 and preferably have a version for
>    Microsoft XP

I suppose xfig has been ported with mingw32 or cygwin and should work
under the corresponding root-less X server.

"xfig" can work with layers and is distributable under a free license.

If on the other hand you want "drawing" as in the sense of
pixel/bitmap creators/editors then your condition (2) has to be
interpreted as "can render fonts". In this case "GIMP" should do the
trick for you. You should be able to get hold of some good Indian
language fonts which are scalable.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Kapil.