[Tugindia] Survey on Document Readers

Shashikiran Ganesh gshashikiran at linuxmail.org
Wed Apr 4 14:42:52 CEST 2007

> From: "Kapil Hari Paranjape" <kapil at imsc.res.in>
> I do not quite understand the term "document reader". Do you mean
> viewers that permit one to view the "rendered" form of a document
> such as DVI, PS, PDF, DjVu and so on?
>
> Then you should try out "evince" as it supports all of the above!

Yes.  okular (evolving version of kpdf for kde4) is the kde equivalent of evince which as you well know is a 'gnome component'.  It appears that okular would also support annotation (and saving of annotation) of rendered documents among other planned features.

I just compared the two programs as they stand now: kpdf and evince.  One of the menu options of kpdf is to 'watch file' - am not sure if evince does this transparently (there are no menu options).

I guess that is what FLOSS is all about - end users get more choice...  and if the end users get to help at the design stages the resulting software should be more efficient ...

Thanks and regards,
Shashi

=