[Tugindia] Devanagari Script and LaTeX

Mahesh T. Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 01:35:35 CET 2006

Anupam Tyagi <Anupam.Tyagi at haim.in> writes:

> Being able to communicate in  Hindi, and other Indian languages over
> the internet  is still  an issue.  As an economist,  I can  say that
> there is money to be made  in this---because where there is a latent
> demand, there is a business model. There

AFAICT, most modern (released within previous 2 years!!!) Operating
Systems support unicode encoding. Hindi and most other Indian
languages work well on them. The problem would be  with earlier
operating systems.

> has  been a  lot of  discussion about  "Money at  the bottom  of the
> pyramid". What  is the process to incorporate  indian language fonts
> into the internet?

Use unicode. ;-)

As a  side note, I remember  a [La]TeX package  which maps non-Unicode
fonts in  a pdf to Unicode code  points, so that searching  the pdf in
Unicode works. Have not used it though.

--
 Mahesh T. Pai <<>> http://paivakil.blogspot.com/