[Tugindia] Table Numbers

E. Krishnan ekmath at asianetindia.com
Mon Apr 3 03:08:09 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Alexander Nervedi wrote:

> I have two tables that I'd like to have labelled .. Table 5a) Balance on
> Old Predictors and Table 5b) Balance on New Predictors, how would I
> implement this ?

The example below gives a quick tweak:

\begin{table}
  \begin{center}
    \begin{tabular}{*{3}{|c}|}
      \hline
      1 & 2 & 3\\
      \hline
      4 & 5 & 6\\
      \hline
    \end{tabular}
    \caption{First Table}
  \end{center}
\end{table}

\begin{table}
  \begin{center}
    \begin{tabular}{*{3}{|c}|}
      \hline
      1 & 2 & 3\\
      \hline
      4 & 5 & 6\\
      \hline
    \end{tabular}
    \renewcommand{\thetable}{\arabic{table}(a)}
    \caption{Second table (a)}
  \end{center}
\end{table}

\begin{table}
  \begin{center}
    \begin{tabular}{*{3}{|c}|}
      \hline
      1 & 2 & 3\\
      \hline
      4 & 5 & 6\\
      \hline
    \end{tabular}
    \addtocounter{table}{-1}
    \renewcommand{\thetable}{\arabic{table}(b)}
    \caption{Second Table (b)}
  \end{center}
\end{table}

\begin{table}
  \begin{center}
    \begin{tabular}{*{3}{|c}|}
      \hline
      1 & 2 & 3\\
      \hline
      4 & 5 & 6\\
      \hline
    \end{tabular}
    \caption{Third Table}
  \end{center}
\end{table}

If you routinely require such sub-numbering, it'd be better to have a look
at the "subfloat" package.

By the way, your mail had the entire previous mail and its reply trailing
behind, and it is not at all relevant to the present question. May I ask
you to trim your mails off all irrelevant material, by way of courtsey to
the recepients?

--
Krishnan