[Tugindia] why is tex so complicated?

CV Radhakrishnan cvr at river-valley.org
Sat Jul 2 14:08:46 CEST 2005

On Sat, July 2, 2005 4:49 pm, Sudarshan Iyengar said:
> I wonder why tex is so complicated.

Because TeX takes charge when other systems fail.

> Starting from its installion until its

I don't know how you installed TeX.  It took only a few minutes for me to
insert a TeXLive CD, invoke a shell script to install TeX unto my
harddisk.  If your OS is Linux, then it is already installed.

> functioning its way far from a novice computer user.

TeX, like any other markup language (SGML, XML, MathML, groff, ...) is
difficult even for a vetern user if you dont know TeX. If you know, it is
a breeze even for a novice user.

> I have been wondering how to create autonumbering in tex, i never could
> succeed. I tried reading some book and seaching for some help online. But
> could not get an answer for my question.

Usually in LaTeX all counters are automatic including its cross reference.
 I don't really understand when you say autonumbering.  Is it section
heading numbering or equation numbering or theorem numbering or paragraph
numbering or line numbering or enumerated list item numbering, ...?