[Tugindia] \left[ and \right]

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec1 at email.si
Fri Nov 26 20:27:09 CET 2004

Baburaj A. Puthenveettil wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, Bhaskaracharya Pratishthana wrote:
>
>>So how should I use \left[ and \right] after breaking lines manually?
>>Is there any package, which takes care for long expressions?
>
> Try  using multiline environment using amsmath package

I don't know how amsmath solves the problem, but generally breaking the
line between \left...\right is not allowed. What you can do is either
using \big[, \bigg[, Big[ or \Bigg[ if you know in advance what you
whant to achive and what the height of the expression is. If this
solution doesn't satisfy you, than you shoud try
\left[...\right., combined with \vphantom, as in the following example:

\def\partone{a^{b^{c^{d^{e^{f}}}}}}
\def\parttwo{a\over b}
$$\left[\partone+\vphantom{\parttwo}\right.$$
$$\left.\vphantom{\partone}+\parttwo\right]$$

\vphantom has the height of the expression in braces and width 0.

Mojca