[Tugindia] Dash question

Adam Tindale tindale at music.mcgill.ca
Fri Nov 12 19:30:42 CET 2004

Hello,

I have run into a small latex snag and I need a TeXpert. I am writing a
manual in tex and I want to do a man type page with this symbol --. I
know that this is an escape character in LaTeX. Here is where it gets
tricky. I want to do this as a new command. There are too many of these
symbols in my document to change them all.

I have made a command \doubledash. I have tried \textdash\textdash and
{\bf \textdash\textdash}. I also tried $--$. None of these work nicely
on the page. When I try to do verbatim in the macro pdflatex complains.
I can't get something that looks nice on the page.

I welcome any suggestions and I thank you for taking the time to think
about my problem.

art