[Tugindia] Rotating text in a table

V. Sasi Kumar vsasi at hotpop.com
Tue Jul 27 09:00:38 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 17:44, David Kastrup wrote:
> "V. Sasi Kumar" <vsasi at hotpop.com> writes:
>
> > I am trying to write the text in the first column of my table at 90
> > degree to the normal. I tried using the graphicx package and the
> > rotatebox command along with fbox and mbox. I then find that the text in
> > the other columns are pushed down by the height of the box. How can I
> > prevent this?
>
> multirow.sty?

Thanks. That worked. But what I am not able to understand is why the
entry in one column should push down the text in the other columns. I
did not expect this to happen.

A related problem is that the mbox is pushed to the top of the column. I
got around this by putting the multirow command and text in a lower row,
but that is not an elegant way of doing it. When I use, for instance,
\multirow{4}, the text should be, say, centered across the 4 rows. In
the example I saw in the multirow manual, the text in the first column
is centered across the four or three rows. This does not happen in my
case. Does the use of rotatebox and mbox influence the alignment?

--
V. Sasi Kumar <vsasi at hotpop.com>