[Tugindia] appendix in article class

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Thu Jul 15 05:24:04 CEST 2004

Hello,

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 09:58:58AM +1000, Anurag Sharma wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 11:24:32AM +0530, Rijo John wrote:
> > Dear Tex users,
> >
> >  Can anyone tell me how can I use appendix command with the article class.
> > I have some tables in the appendix and there is only one appendix.
> > But I should get the tables numberd A.1 A.2 etc. in the appendix. Right
> > now I am able to create appendix using \appendix command but the table
> > numbers are  conitnuation of the numbers from the body of the text.
>
> Try:
> \renewcommand{\theequation}{A.\arabic{equation}}
>   % redefine the command that creates the equation no.
>   \setcounter{equation}{0}  % reset counter
> \renewcommand{\thesection}{A.\arabic{section}}
>   % redefine the command that creates the equation no.
>   \setcounter{section}{0}  % reset counter

I must disagree with Anurag's suggestion. What happens in
Appendix B and C and all the rest?

To go back to John's original question. He has not really specified what
he means by "continuation" of the numbering system. I assume that he
means that (as in the default article settings) the tables are numbered
linearly *throughout* the document. However, when he comes to the
appendix he wants the numbering to be restricted to the appendix.

One way to do this is to put in the preamble:
\newcommand{\myappnumbering}{\renewcommand{\thetable}{\thesection.\arabic{table}}}
\newcommand{\myappendix}{\appendix\myappnumbering}

After this you use \myappendix instead of \appendix to switch to
appendix "mode". You can also add other re-numbering such as equations
figures and so on to \myappnumbering as suggested by Anurag (but with
similar modifications to his suggestions).

Ideally you should save the existing table numbering and use that in the
definition. It is an exercise to "correct" the above scheme so that it
is more compliant with the documentclass settings!

Regards,

Kapil.