[Tugindia] Using Sabon type face

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Jul 1 10:12:26 CEST 2004

Amitava Das Gupta <amitav at vsnl.net> writes:

> At 03:31 pm, you wrote:
>
> >Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 20:50:05 +0530 (IST)
> >From: "CV Radhakrishnan" <cvr at river-valley.org>
> >Subject: Re: [Tugindia] Using Sabon type face

> >    Amitava> I am not very familiar with LaTeX, though I use it
> >    Amitava> sometimes. I would like to know how to use a non-standard
> >    Amitava> font in my work. Specifically, I would like to use the
> >    Amitava> "Sabon" type face. I have put in the \usepackage{sabon}
> >    Amitava> in the preamble, but the font does not appear in the dvi
> >    Amitava> file, and while compiling, I get a "LaTeX Font Warning :
> >
> >    Amitava> The sabon.sty file, and all the required .tfm and .vf
> >    Amitava> files are there inside the \texmf tree. I am using
> >    Amitava> Windows98. Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> >You have to
> >
> >* buy the sabon fonts from foundries like Adobe or Monotype
>
> Does this mean that the .tfm and .vf files files that are already
> there are of no use?

Of course they are.  Linotype (or whoever else you want to buy Sabon
from) won't give you .tfm and .vf files, and you need those for
typesetting stuff with Sabon.

They are TeX's keys to the fonts.  And if you want to acquire the
fonts, you should acquire them in Type1 format for PCs.  Truetype is
hard to integrate and of inferior quality, and Type1 for Macs will be
troublesome, too.

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>