[Tugindia] Regarding "The TeX Book"

Duvvuri Venu Gopal venugopal_duvvuri at rediffmail.com
Thu Feb 26 06:42:09 CET 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 Saravanan MK wrote :
>prabhu harihara nandanan wrote:
>
>>very interested in programming in TeX. But I can't get the "The TeX Book" by
>>"Donald E. Knuth" in Chennai, even in very big book shops. They are saying
>>that they didn't receive the book like this. So I Request you to inform me
>>about how to get that book. I will be so grateful to you, if I get that book.
>>Please let me know where to find that book.
>
>You can tell them the ISBN number of the book:
>
>"The TeXbook" by Donald E. Knuth (Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley, 1984), x+483pp. ISBN 0-201-13448-9
>
>Usually you can order almost any technical books with Eswar Book house in Mambalam (T.Nagar).  If they don't have they can order for you.  I don't know whether the Indian Edition of the above book is available.  The original hardcover book should be around USD40/-
>
>-- mks --

Recently we purchased The TeXbook. It took nearly 3 months. There is no Indian Reprint. It is a paper back edition (ring binding) and its cost is $46.95. It is not readily available in India. I still waiting for the Metafontbook.

By the way two good books are freely available on internet. Please see my earlier postings - "TeX for the Impatient" and "TeX by topic - A TeXnicians reference book". These two books are equally good. What I feel is if "The TeXbook" is a Text book then these two are guides.

D. Venu Gopal