[Tugindia] Open Source Survey

CV Radhakrishnan cvr at river-valley.org
Wed Aug 11 07:31:01 CEST 2004

Here is a mail from Ramanath, an academic at Univ of Illinois with a
request to fill out his survey on Open Source Software in India and
developing nations.

Radhakrishnan

------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 11:54:43 -0500
From: <rsubrama at uiuc.edu>
Subject: Open Source Survey

Dear Open Source Community Member,

Sorry for the spam. Please let me introduce myself. I, Ramanath, am an
Asst. Professor at Univ of Illinois. My colleague, Mu Xia, and I are
working on a economic study/project on the commercialization of Open
Source software in developing countries. We are interested in the
growth of this phenomenon in India, China and are contrasting it with
the growth of the movement in North America.

We, as scholars studying the information technology industry, are very
interested in the development of OSS in developing countries. We hope
that through studying China and India's OSS development and business
models, and comparing to that of developed countries, we can better
understand the role OSS can play in today's software market.

To achieve the above goal, we hope that, as an active member of OSS
community, you can fill out the survey. We have administered the
survey to Chinese, Indian and western OS community members. We plan to
finish the survey result analysis and the research paper this autumn.

If you would like to get an aggregated result of the surveys from us,
please leave your name and email in the survey. We'll send it to you
as soon as it is available.

The survey is here:

  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=23872580226

The survey should take you about 15 minutes to complete.  If you have
contacts with your colleagues who are active in the OS community,
please forward them a link to the same survey. Your help is very much
appreciated and valued.

  http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=23872580226

Thanks,
Ram