[Tugindia] Further Pdffonts

Radhakrishnan CV cvr at river-valley.org
Mon Sep 22 07:13:32 CEST 2003

[...]

    Ashis> I ran pdffonts to my pdf files generated from LaTeX using
    Ashis> pdflatex and dvips-ps2pdf seperately.

    Ashis> The response generated are similar but with lot of 'no' s
    Ashis> against 'emb' and 'sub' column. The problem is mostly with
    Ashis> times* fonts and there seems to have some problem with my
    Ashis> font setup etc.

I dont think so. The PDF spec says that the Base 14 fonts will always
be available to a PDF interpreter, so that they do not need to be
embedded in any document.  So most PDF-producing programs will not
embed a fonts named Times, Helvetica and Courier.

    Ashis> With dvips-ps2pdf, some font types are shown as type-1c

But I got the same results for the pdf's generated by gs and
pdfTeX.  See below:

[danube] [11:18 AM] [~]: pdffonts test-gs.pdf
name                             type         emb sub uni object ID
-------------------------------- ------------ --- --- --- ---------
Courier                          Type 1       no  no  no       9  0
Helvetica                        Type 1       no  no  no       8  0
Times-Roman                      Type 1       no  no  no       7  0

[danube] [11:18 AM] [~]: pdffonts test-pdftex.pdf
name                             type         emb sub uni object ID
-------------------------------- ------------ --- --- --- ---------
Times-Roman                      Type 1       no  no  no       5  0
Helvetica                        Type 1       no  no  no       7  0
Courier                          Type 1       no  no  no       9  0

    Ashis> How do I get rid of this(I believe this is not good) ? And
    Ashis> please suggest some simple steps to ensure that all my
    Ashis> fonts are 'embeded'.

font embedding is needed only for fonts other that the base 14, for
instance, if your document has Adobe Garamond or Linotype Frutiger,
you need to embedd, if not the person at the other end cannot print
properly.

However, if your Journal editor still needs Times, Helvetica, Courier
to be embedded, you need to use URW's Nimbus series which you can
easily do by using txfonts (available at CTAN and loadable with the
command \usepackage{txfonts}).