[Tugindia] still problem with \colorbox.......

E. Krishnan ekmath at md5.vsnl.net.in
Sun Nov 30 03:15:46 CET 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Jagadeesh Bhaskar wrote:

> i was actually trying to get section headings enveloped in gray box.
> when i filled like that, though i got color box of the whole width of the
> page as i required,
>
> now what i need is how to include the section numbering also in the same
> \colorbox of page-width.
> i also need to provide a thick horizontal line, \hline didn't work, under
> section headings; which extends in width more than the actual width of text
> like below
>
> ==================
> heading
> __________________
> contentadfadfadfa
> asdfasdfasdfasdfa
> adfasdfasdfasdfas

I don't if this is really what you want, but give this a try.

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{color}
\usepackage{titlesec}
\usepackage{calc}

\newlength{\seclen}
\newlength{\secaddlen}

\definecolor{MyGray}{gray}{0.75}

\newcommand{\secbox}[1]{%
  \settowidth{\seclen}{\thesection\quad#1}
  \setlength{\secaddlen}{\textwidth-\seclen-7pt}
  \colorbox{MyGray}{\thesection\quad#1\hspace{\secaddlen}}}

\titleformat{\section}%
             [display]%
             {\titlerule
               \large\bfseries}%
             {}%
             {0pt}%
             {\secbox}
             [\vspace{2ex}
               \titlerule]

\begin{document}

\section{The first section}

This is the first section

\end{document}

Please see the documentation of "titlesec" package  for more information.

--
Krishnan