[Tugindia] FWD: Subject: Re: [ilugd] Re: hindustan times -> TeXnical deviation

LinuxLingam linuxlingam at bhairon.com
Wed May 7 00:40:04 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 06 May 2003 01:00 pm, you wrote:

> What is "graphic design and imagery". If this means creating
> 2D, 3D, 2D-animation and 3D-animation graphics, then surely
> that is not the purpose of TeX!

ugh! that's not what i mean by graphic design and imagery. i mean well,
graphic design, as in page design, page composition, using typography with
invisible gridlines and guidelines, assymetrical or symmetrical balances, and
the use of photos and illustrations and headlines and rules as elements of
graphic design and imagery.

example: very creatively designed brochures, danglers, double-page ad spreads
wtih special effects text and special effects typography.

200-page magazines, where each page or section is individually designed,
month after month, with only some few design principles common. example:
wired magazine.

hence the following statement:

> > > designers think visually, work visually, and want a
> > > WYSIWYG metaphor,

> Why would *anyone* want to use TeX for this kind of design?

that's my point. when someone asked if there are desktop publishing solutions
under gnulinux, and by that question, this is what is implied, some people
incorrectly refer to TeX as the solution. and i was merely trying to point
out that error.

> Perhaps one day it will be possible to combine the different
> "multimedia" elements into the Grand Unified Format (XML?).

its almost happening.
:-)

> Even in such an eventuality, no one who wants to be creative with the
> graphic arts can really do this with a "click-clack-cluck" approach to
> computers.

W R O N G !

the stunning imagery and creativity of the movie matrix, is done in this way.
am not seeing that digital imaging and creativity is the be all and end all
of creativity, but it is incorrect to state that someone who wants to be
creative with graphics arts cannot just do it computers. it is possible. but
not necessary.

you know, that was almost a flame-bait. but i'd rather douse that with some
ceasefire and let it pass.

:-)

Most great water/oil paitings were made by individuals who
> really knew their practical chemistry---and figured out how to create
> their own colours!

the human consciousness is the centre of all creativity, which learns the
techniques and possibilities of chemicals, and pixels. but what flows through
these two and other media, is the creativity of the human consciousness.

i have heard of blind men who can dream of colors and even paint vivid
paintings. please do not underestimate the limits of the human consciousness.
everything else is secondary: computers, or chemicals.

:-)
LL