[Tugindia] Font war [was] Matching spec...

E. Krishnan ekmath at md5.vsnl.net.in
Fri Jun 20 00:16:08 CEST 2003

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, H S Rai wrote:

> In  `Computer Modern  Roman' when  `f' comes  with `l',  then combined
> sometimes  appers  to be  `A'.,  while  `f'  with  `i' appears  to  be
> wonderful.

In traditional typesetting, certain combinations of letters (called
ligatures) are treated as a single unit and special types are designed for
them. High quality typesetting programs also follow this
tradition. The combinations "ff", "fi", "fl" are some of the common
ligatures in English. In Computer Modern, the ligature "fl" has the
horizontal stroke of "f" touching the "l", creating a mild resemblance to
"A" as you said. But this is not so in certain other fonts, such as Lucida
Bright. I have a feeling that in traditional typesetting, it must be as
in Computer Modern, since from what I have understood from his writings,
Donald Knuth is often a stickler for tradition.

> my esthetic sense is so so ;-)

Aesthetics is often purely subjective, is it not?
--
Krishnan