[Tugindia] \latex{}\help

David Kastrup David.Kastrup at t-online.de
Wed Jun 18 23:49:37 CEST 2003

"Baburaj A. Puthenveettil" <apbabu at mecheng.iisc.ernet.in> writes:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Arun Swarup wrote:
>
> > thx David Kastrup & Krishnan for ur help
>
> 	I have small question of etiquette to the list admin. Are we
> supposed to send thanks to the list for the help received from
> individual members?  In fact, most of the time I have avoided
> sending my deep gratitude thinking that it will be a nuisance to
> other members of the list at the same time fearing whether the
> member who sent me the answer would feel offended for not mentioning
> my thanks.

In my opinion, an occasional help does not disrupt the list too
much.  So that it is not completely redundant, it can be combined
with feedback, like "Thank you very much, that worked well, and I was
able to do this in the following manner:".

A lot of advice is not tested out before given and may not work out of
the box, or might be not completely accurate and the recipient of the
advice will have to fiddle around before being able to apply it.  If
the simple feedback of what actually worked is given to the list, and
perhaps explained of what could have been misinterpreted from the
original advice, this is actually of use to the list.

So there is pretty often the possibility of providing this last
feedback (which is also important for people that later search the
list archived for advice: not only find it, but also know whether it
will work) together with the thanks.

UKTUG FAQ: <URL:http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html>