[Tugindia] Stopping hyphenation

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Thu Feb 27 08:02:57 CET 2003

Hello,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 02:15:33AM +0530, H S Rai wrote:
> Is  there any  way  to  stop hyphenation  in  whole document. Is  that
> advisable?
>
> Or any  simple way to  avoid hyphenation in section  and subsection. I
> find for  most of  sections, only  "half word" is  there in  2nd line,
> which looks  bad (though I  believe LaTeX do,  what is good)  to many.
> They say hyphenation  may work fine for paragraph, but  in section etc
> it does not give good appeal. What's your view?

In articles, avoiding
hyphenation can
lead to ugliness like this.

Or           to        ugliness
like  this which    is  equally
bad.

However, there are situations, like slides or printed lists like
a curriculum vitae or a bibliography where hyphenation is best
avoided.

In "foils"---which a LaTeX style for printing transparencies or creating
presentations---hyphenation is avoided by setting \righthyphenmin and
\lefthyphenmin to 100.

YMMV.

Kapil.

--
The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
		-- John Muir