[Tugindia] how to identify the page break without xdvi

Sandip P Deshmukh deshmukh at escortsmumbai.com
Fri Feb 21 12:04:21 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 02:27:40PM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> Dear Sandip,
>
> > now, i often have to use xdvi only to get the pagination right. shift a
> > bulleted list to the new page, etc.
>
> Already an expert --- eh!?

well, far from it! i thought my questions brought my ignorance to public
display!

> > is not there a way by which i would be able to identify the page breaks
> > in the tex file without going to xdvi? this will save me a lot of time.
>
> Absolutely.
>
> 1. You can use "catdvi" to convert the dvi file to text and this will
>    show you the page breaks.

thanx. i will try this. i just hope i have a .deb file.

> 2. You can make TeX insert "\special"'s at every word(!) or every line
>    and this way get the relevant info even from "dvitype".

didnt get you here. but will try and read up on special before i bother
group with questions

> I haven't actually used (2) but I did use (1) when I was stuck with a
> "text" only terminal and couldn't view the output at all (except via
> destruction of rain-forests).

thanx for being conscious about forests. so am i :)

--
regards,
sandip p deshmukh