[Tugindia] Re: Placing floats in run-around

monsurate at vsnl.com monsurate at vsnl.com
Tue Feb 18 19:34:08 CET 2003

>> Ragu> I have a project, where the customer likes to place the
>> Ragu> floats inline. Also they like to flow the text around the
>> Ragu> floats (both tables and figure).

wrapfig.sty should satisfy your requirements. Also check out
insbox.tex which can be used with plain TeX.

>> Ragu> This particular project is a double column job, 18*2pc.
>> Ragu> The parameter given by the customer is, when the figure
>> Ragu> size is beyond 18pc and less than 24pc, they likes to
>> Ragu> place the floats at the left column and the
>> Ragu> following text to flow to the right column.
>>
>>  CVR> 'flushend.sty' available at:
>>  CVR> http://www.vtex.lt/tex/download/macros/
>>  CVR> also does the job.

As long as you're getting flushend.sty, you could also grab the rest
of the Lithuanian packages, one of which, `midfloat.sty' allows you
to set wide material in the left column that spans into the right in
two-column mode with the text in the right column flowing above and
below the wide material. You could also check out `stfloats.sty'
that can set footnotes below bottom floats and double-column floats
at the bottom of the page, if you're still handling this manually.
All-in-all, valuable tools for the the typesetters among us.

If you're looking for a combination of both wrapfig and midfloat, I
doubt there's any package to do this. You're better off setting this
work in Quark Xpress which has good support for this kind of visual
formatting. Some things are just better not done in TeX!

OFF-TOPIC:

Hi Ragu, if you're finally trying to set colour work in TeX, mail me
off-list to this id or my NISPL id and I'll help you out.

Rajiv Monsurate