[Tugindia] Question about horizontal lines in Tables

S Gupta gupg at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 00:42:10 CET 2003

Hi

In the following latex code of a table, there is a
"double" vertical line separating columns A & B.
There is also a vertical line that runs across both
these columns (below the row that has A & B headings).
 I want the horizontal line to stop at the first
vertical bar and then continue from the second
vertical bar (  _| |_ instead of _|_|_ ).

I can't figure out how to do it - any help will be
appreciated.  I guess one way would be to create two
adjacent tabulars with the data of A & B  - but this
will mean a lot of rework for me (I have tons of such
long tables with several columns of data).

Thanks
Sumit
-------------- latex code for table ------

\begin{table*}[t]
\begin{center}
\begin{tabular}{l|l||l}
\hline
\multicolumn{1}{c|}{Case}
& \multicolumn{2}{|c}{$Example 1$} \\
  & \multicolumn{1}{|c||}{A} & \multicolumn{1}{|c}{B}
\\
\hline
% States      Cycles            States      Cycles

Baseline
& 42           & 3931      \\
Base + Case1
   & 48(+14.3 \%) & 3163(-19.5 \%)  \\